Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Teaching with Technology

There is no doubt that the world around us is changing at a rapid pace. The knowledge students are expected to know now before leaving elementary school has by far surpassed the level I would have ever dreamed of when I was growing up. In an article written by Dr. David Thronburg titled "Technology and Education: Expectations, not Options," he discussed how technology is growing and changing at a much more rapid pace than pedagogy, and the gap seems to just be getting larger and larger as the years go by. So what do we need to do now as teachers and as communities to help close that gap?

As an educator, I strive to find new technologies to bring into my classroom to enhance student learning and create an interest in my students that will help them take an active stance on their own education. I have taken my students on virtual field trips around the world, had them create multimedia yearbooks, create PowerPoint presentations in place of the standard essay format reports, shown video clips of science processes, and the list goes on. However, even though I am proud of the use of technology that I use in my classroom, there is still that overwhelming, yet exciting, feeling that there is so much more out there that I can be exposing my students to. My two main goals for next year is to get students involved in creating and keeping up with a class blog and having my students build and be able to control robotic devices.

What are some of your thoughts out there? What technologies do you feel are becoming crucial for our student to learn and be exposed to?

No comments:

Post a Comment