Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cognitive Learning Theory and Classroom Instruction

This week our class has been asked to take a closer look into the cognitive learning theory. For me, this theory has had a lot of influence on my own personal learning theories, opposed to the behavrioralist theory that we looked at last week. While I do undoubtedly use the behaviorism in my class it is for more behavior instruction. Makes sense right? The cognitive learning theory on the other hand has huge connections to instruction within the classroom.

Take for example two of the tools that I explored further this week; concept mapping and virtual field trips. Both are extremely valuable tools that are often used in my classroom. But why? A big part of the cognitive theory as Dr. Orey discussed in a video resource titled “Cognitive Learning Theories,” is elaboration. Students must be able to make many connections between new information and pre-existing information. What something like a concept map does then, is allows students to not only make connections, but it helps them focus and organize their thoughts as well. This is what Robertson, Elliot, and Washington referred to as “activating metacognitive learning strategies,” in their book excerpt “Cognitive Tools.” Dr. Orey also made a statement within the resource that really stuck with me. He explained that information that we learn is never really gone, we just simply do not remember how to find it. I thought this was a neat way to put it because I know myself, there have been many tests I’ve taken where I just cannot remember the answer for the life of me, but then later on in the day it hits me. The same goes with names of people. I knew I learned the information; I just simply did not make enough connections to other things to help me know where to find the information when I needed it. When concept mapping is used, students continue to build off basic information and focus questions and make strong connection between concepts so that they can better recall information later on.

Virtual field trips, as I mentioned before, are a unique and important asset to the classroom as well, especially when most schools do not have the money to send classes on real field trips these days. The cool thing about the virtual field trips is that distance is no object! I can take my 1st grade class from Upper Michigan to the shorelines of Hawaii in an instant. Not to mention, with virtual field trips, the class can go at its own pace, rather than trying to keep up with a tour guide and trying to hear every word they are saying when standing in the very back of a large group. These trips are just one more way that students can make strong connections to what they have been reading and hearing about. To be able to actually see what the Colony of Williamsburg looks like for example and hear the music that was played during that time, gives students the opportunity to make great connections to information that will be long lasting.

4 comments:

  1. Magan,

    I agree with the idea you brought up about Dr. Orey saying we don't really forget information, we just can't find it in our minds any more. I agree with this theory as long as the student learns the information well the first time. I know that some of my students never really put the information into their minds and then they wonder why they do poorly on exams. I personally hardly ever study for exams because I always put so much effort into classes while they are going on. Students think that cramming is the way to go. Maybe we should teach them about cognitive theory!!!

    Good posting,

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magan,

    I was also intrigued by Orey’s statement about learned information still being there and that we just forget where we put it. I work rather closely with my colleagues and can’t count the number of times my students have told me that they were not taught concepts, when I know the information was given in a previous class. Maybe connections were not made for them to commit it to long term memory. Or as Tyler said in his post maybe our students are too busy cramming instead of actually learning the information. Perhaps with concept mapping and virtual field trips, we can help our students experience our subject area instead of just hearing it through lectures.

    ~Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magan,
    Do you think if we shared this concept of a learner doesn't really forget information with our students that perhaps it will help their self-confidence? Some of my students berate themselves if they can't "remember" an idea and I use strategies to help them to relax and help strengthen their memories. Now I have an additional set of mind tool strategies as concept mapping and creating episodic experiences (virtual tours) that will assist them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice comments, guys! I love Tyler's idea of teaching the students about cognitive learning, and like Karla said, share with them the importance of making connections. Karla I do think it would have a big impact on the students if we help clue them in on that piece of information. In my 7th grade English class, my teacher had us watch a video on ways to improve your memory. I never realized it at the time, but all the connections it was having us make was indeed for a reason. They started out by explaining how to remember a grocery list by thinking about the head of lettuce that we needed and then picturing it on bouncing up and down on the hood(head) of the car. Then the next thing was to think about the milk that we needed and picture a cow standing in front of the car while the head of lettuce was bouncing up and down. And this presentation went on and on through a rather long grocery list. Each item however build on the last one and some how was connected. Kinda neat.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete