Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reflect and Revise

Well another week as gone by which means it is time to take a closer look at how I am progressing with my GAME plan.

This week I was able to overcome a couple of significant barriers that would potentially get in the way of achieving my plan. My school unfortunately has very limited access to technology in our classrooms so even though I had big plans to get my students making digital storybooks and viewing a large variety of United Streaming videos that tie into our curriculum, it does get difficult to schedule ample times in our schools shared computer lab. So after doing some research to see what others have done to break though this very same barrier, I came across an excellent substation for the expensive smartboards that all of the teachers in our school wish for on a daily basis. Using johnnylee.net as a resource, I was able to build my own interactive whiteboard in my classroom for less than $70. Since this was about $1500 cheaper than the actual Promethean Boards themselves, our principal has agreed to help get all the teachers in our building funding for this project! My students can now have unlimited access to this useful tool so they can share, edit, view videos online, all while working hands on.

After seeing how much time my GAME my game plan is taking at this point, I have decided to modify it a little bit and take things one step at a time. Originally I wanted to set up a digital portfolio online of all the student artifacts that were created over the years. Now I have decided to just keep my basic digital file folder of all student material and notes from the lesson. I do still hope to create a digital portfolio that can be shared with teachers, parents, and students, but at this time, I would like to focus on the creation of the actual lessons, and then later on, work on getting them out there to the world.

The main question that I am still pondering over is what real-world scenario I want my 1st graders to create digital storybooks about. I want a topic that excites them, pulls out their creativity, but also does not make them feel overwhelmed. Any good suggestions out there? I would love to hear them!

Magan

7 comments:

  1. Magan,

    I just can't get past the fact that you were able to build your own interactive whiteboard for $70. I am extremely impressed and would love to know more about that. Only some of the rooms in the school have smartboards and my room is not one of them. That's a fantastic idea and it would have never crossed my mind if I hadn't read your post. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for finding a less expensive way for your students to be engaged in using technology. I have noticed that when laid out on the table comparing prices, schools are more likely to give you something if it is cheaper than the alternative. Thank you for letting us know about this website.
    I have a suggestion for you to use with your 1st graders. I teach middle school so i am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but so many children's stories have morals to them like the Lorax by Dr. Seuse. They could read The Lorax and make real world connections about protecting our environment. There a a lot of lessons online that go along with this book that you could change to fit into your classroom,
    Erin Beauvais

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    What a great idea!! Thank you! I am actually writing that idea into my lesson plans for two weeks from now. I think I could even give students a choice between a number of different books and then when students select their book, they are also selecting who they will work with on this project.

    Thanks again,
    Magan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori,
    Check out this video by Johnny Lee. He goes over how this whiteboard works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ

    I ordered pens and bluetooth adapter from this site below :)
    http://penteractive.us/?p=5

    Magan

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW EXCITING FOR YOU!!!! There are tons and tons of free interactive sites you will be able to use. You will be so excited when you see. Look at all I have marked on my delicious. http://delicious.com/rphares1/iwb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unbelievable!

    I don’t know why this is not more widely known. I will definitely check into this further. It seems to me that you already need to have some things in place prior to being able to do this for $70 though. Don’t you need to have at least a whiteboard and a projector?

    Very good idea to take it a little bit at a time by the way. I have noticed a trend in the posts this week that there is a premium on time. There are so many things that must be done, and teachers have a tendency to take on everything that comes their way. I know that I often add too much to my schedule and regret it later.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doug,
    You will need to have a projector for this. I share a projector on a cart with another teacher in my hallway, so you don't even have to have one mounted on your ceiling. I don't have a large whiteboard in my room so I just use my regular projector screen. If there is no projector screen available either, I think putting up a large piece of white paper would do the trick as well. Just as long as you have a blank light background to use. :)

    ReplyDelete