Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Benefits of a GAME Plan
So how effective was having a GAME plan? I think the biggest advantage about actually setting up a GAME plan, has been the fact that it really makes you think about the details and holds you accountable for them as long as you keep monitoring and reflecting on your progress. After I first developed my plan, I looked ahead to future assignments for this particular course and saw that we were to be reflecting on our GAME plan every single week. My first instinct was a bit of an eye roll, because I thought this would get extremely redundant reflecting on the same thing for six weeks. However, I have to now admit that it was actually very beneficial to do this because it motivated me to make sure I was actually making changes and working toward my goal every single week. This got me to thinking that if I had my students set up their own GAME plan for content standards throughout the school year, they would be made extremely aware of what it was exactly that they were working towards. My thinking is that if for each new unit in a subject area, I would help students create a GAME plan to achieve those objects. Then not only is the teacher responsible for teaching the material, but it also really helps to hold the students accountable for their own learning. Obviously for the younger grade levels, there will be a lot of assistance in creating these GAME plans, and I think it would be more beneficial to create a class plan rather than individual student plans. What do you think? I am also leaning towards incorporating the NETS-S right into the curriculum plans because then students and myself would have a better chance of finding ways to intertwine the curriculum standards with the technology standards.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Magan,
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of setting up a GAME plan for each unit. What about the possibility of having a brief outline and allowing students to help create the plan? For me this would take a lot initial planning but could possibly work. I like how you mention that this type of plan could hold teachers as well as students accountable for their learning. I also like the idea of a class plan rather than individual plans. Good ideas!
Magan,
ReplyDeleteI like your ideas and I think a game plan is a great idea regardless of how you use it. I really like the idea of setting up individual game plans, but your idea of a class game plan is great. I think this would give you a sense of community and team, knowing that you were all working towards a common goal. I also think individual game plans would work wonderful, but may be too much for the younger grades, however they can always be modified. Also, setting up game plans for each unit is a great idea as well.
Lori
Thanks for the feed back! I do agree that the class game plan is probably the best way to go about it, and then each individual student can take time to reflect on how they themselves are doing with each part of the plan. With guidance of course.
ReplyDeleteI really like your idea of having the educator serve as a second moderator for the students GAME plans. Although for adults like ourselves we can self-monitor and focus on our goals and the steps to reach those goals, many students may not have the motivation or the skill set to set goals and know that they won't be complete for 9 weeks. With a teacher, serving as moderator or facilitator, the students can depend on someone checking in with them, keeping them focused, and helping them to work towards their assigned and self-selected goals. Good Job!
ReplyDeleteMagan,
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure who you were referring to when you said younger grade levels, but I work with sixth graders. I would say that a majority of my students would require an intentional assistance with regard to setting up and monitoring a game plan. Many struggle with organization and goal setting, but I suppose that is exactly why presenting this as a tool is critical for some to be successful.
Hi Magan, Congratulations! Sounds as if you were very successful. I would of expected nothing else from you. I love your idea of a class game plan. What a great first day activity!
ReplyDelete