So far my GAME plan is coming along quite well. It’s funny how when you start out looking to achieve one specific things, so many other things arise along the path that end up achieving that you never even dreamed of! In my previous post I mentioned that I had taken my first step to overcoming the problem of limited access to the school’s interactive whiteboard, by creating my own inexpensive board in my classroom. After more educators caught wind of what I had done, I have now been asked to present the creation process along with what types of things can be done on this valuable tool at my district’s professional development day. I find this a great honor because a big part of our technology standards rely on sharing information and knowledge with others. Now I am not only able to use information I have found from other resources, but now I am able to help pass this information along to other educators.
I do not feel that I need to make any adjustments to my plan this week. Another step in the right direction I have made over this past week was that I have now made the decision about what my students will create their digital storybooks about, and how it will allow them to integrate our core curriculum in with solving real-world problems. On my pervious post, Erin Beauvais had a wonderful suggestion that I have students select different children’s books and take the underlying lesson taught in the book and use that for real-world lessons that impact the student’s lives each and every day. I love this idea and cannot wait for my students to get started with this project in the next couple weeks. My plan is to have students broken up into groups of four and select from a variety of children’s book that they want to write about and elaborate on. Students will then use the book’s lesson to think of ways they can help carry out that same lesson in their own lives. Obviously this will be kept at a pretty basic level since these are 1st graders, but I really think they would get excited about this project and take a lot out of it.
Magan
Magan,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! That's awesome. Good luck with your presentation. Again, I love that you were able to create your own interactive white board. Also, your digital storybook that you are doing with your students sounds great. I love the concept of relating to the real world. I would love to know how that goes for you and your students.
Lori
Magan,
ReplyDeleteWOW! Creating you own interactive whiteboard seems like an amazing feat. I would love to see pictures. By sharing information, knowledge and ideas you are a great asset to your colleagues. I hope your presentation goes well. I also like the idea you have decided to use with your students. Hopefully they will get excited about the project also! Sounds like you are coming along nicely with your GAME plan. Great Job!
Leilani
WOW! That is way cool when you are asked to present. Have fun.
ReplyDeleteI am concerned about your digital storytelling project. It sounds like a great project, however, I think maybe you need to do a less complicated project for your first one so you can get your feet wet and work out all the kinks. I struggle with digital storytelling with grade 6 and would not be comfortable with grade 1.
Remember, this is just me...if you feel comfortable, go for it!
Like usual, I am very impressed with your post.